Not All The Usual Christmas Music
- Cyndi Lauper, The Hives - A Christmas Duel
- Cracker - Turn On Tune In Drop Out With Me
- The New Pornographers - Joseph, Who Understood
- Hall and Oates - Jingle Bell Rock
- Owl City - Fireflies
- Vince Guaraldi - Skating
- MC Lars - Gary The Green-Nosed Reindeer
- Discovery - Orange Shirt
- Aimee Mann - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
- Lady GaGa - Bad Romance
- Whirling Dervishes - You're A Mean One Mr. Grinch
- Dirty Little Rabbits - Hello
- Jill Sobule - Merry Christmas From The Family
- Metric - Help I'm Alive
- Darlene Love - Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
- Lady GaGa - Christmas Tree
In between, there's a smattering of current popular/alternative songs with some not so usual holiday songs. "Skating" by Vince Guaraldi sticks out for me because it's not "Linus and Lucy." I love that song, but I wanted something else. I think taking a different tactic with the holidays is my way of accepting that it's here. Just like how it's not Rudolph saving Christmas in the MC Lars' slow jam about one of the other reindeer.
I did include some perennial favorites like "Merry Christmas From The Family" by Jill Sobule which goes along with the dysfunctional family that really isn't theme. The Phil Spector produced "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home" by Darlene Love is a backwards plea to myself I suppose. I've resisted this season to point of doing nothing, so maybe it's time to resign myself to letting the joy come in if it wants.
Of course, my sense of humor would not let the mix be complete without the almost awful, innuendo filled gem by Lady GaGa. I couldn't leave it off all misty eyed!