Thursday, December 03, 2009

The Spirit of Trying

One of the traditions that got started around the holidays in our house some years ago was the tradition of not putting up a Christmas tree.

Some of it was fear of what the dogs would do to it. Some was laziness. Some was general frustration with the holidays and not "feeling it."

Today was a rough day. It was a rough day that has followed a long stretch of time where I've been going and going and going. I'm tapped out more emotionally than physically. However, my waistline is telling me that I better stop eating leftovers and concentrate on reaching for the fruits and vegetables.

The most I figured I could hope for tonight was to come home from work, shut myself in my bedroom and just cry. But somewhere in the late afternoon hours, I saw a friend post on Facebook that she was putting up a Christmas tree tonight. Something about it felt right. My schedule had been cleared due to my beloved Zumba class being canceled for the night. I thought, "Well? Maybe?"

I still came home and cast sad looks across the dinner table at Matt as I relayed my frustrations. We ate, took a nap, and I woke up with a plan. The plan is what you see in the picture. I may never get around to putting lights on it or ornaments, but the tree is up in our dining room along with the tree skirt my mom made for us some time ago. I might even consider trying to make a holiday music mix.

An attempt to find some Christmas spirit can't be all bad. We all could use a little more light in our lives.

1 comment:

Allie said...

Good for you! We find the same sorts of excuses most years. Sometimes I feel sad about it and sometimes I don't. I think it's good to be nice to yourself and find things to cheer you up!

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...