Sunday, March 07, 2021

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a pixie cut. The weeks and months after were amusing because people didn't recognize me, they would see me out with my husband and think he had a side chick, and even my own mother didn't initially recognize me when she saw me for the first time at a funeral for a family member. 

My friend and stylist, Martha had created a fantastic hair style for me that I adored playing with and doing fun things like getting blue and red highlights. Of course, I eventually grew it out because I did miss my long locks. Over recent years, I wavered over whether I ever wanted to cut it like that again because the growing out process is an absolute bitch. 

A week and a half ago, I knew it was time. I joked a little that I needed a "break up haircut" after 2020, but it wasn't just 2020. It was several years of high stress and loss. We bought our new house and had many headaches selling our old house, Matt had brain surgery just 3 weeks before we moved, Matt's Dad died, Matt's boss decided to retire leading to Matt needing to find a new job, we got a new boss, the Pandemic started, and then I lost my job.  

I'm here to tell you that cutting off that weight was a great feeling. As Martha's work evolved, my smile got bigger because it was like rediscovering someone who had been away for a very long time.

Before










After 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...