Skip to main content

Expanding Fiction

I've been debating expanding a short piece of fiction I published here earlier this month. I rather like the characters, which is natural when you consider that a couple share characteristics with real life people. That can be dangerous too. This is a small community. As I commented to a friend earlier today, Chautauqua County is a bit like high school at times when you start playing connect the dots with who has dated, married, divorced, had children with, or is simply friends with.

Either way, there's a new character floating around in my head. Her name? I'm considering Gina. She's an amalgam of a girl I used to see around Java's Cafe during the mid 1990s and something imaginary. I would describe her as being in her upper 20s, dark hair that is about chin length and has swing to it, a kind of "it" girl personality. Men like her. She has no problem pulling more than one guy along on an outing to the bar. Women don't like her much, but the dislike is more born out of envy.

The scene I have her in right now is enjoying a night out with two friends, male of course. She's enjoying herself. All her drinks are taken care of. She's also playing the two men off each other, flirting heavily with one on her right while barely saying anything to the guy on the left. It smacks of Dorothy Parker. That's all I have right now. We'll see where it will go.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh.

-Sean
Julia said…
Ah. Yes. Maybe I need to change that name to something other than her real name.
Hapi said…
hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

Popular posts from this blog

Away, Away

We're on a mini-vaca in an area where they're experiencing forest fires (thanks asshole arsonist). It's an area that makes Clifton Hill in Niagara Falls, Ontario look rinky dinky. Holy cow. Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg is no joke. Tomorrow we try to escape it and find some peace and nature in the (literally) Smoky Mountains.

Bloggery (a repost)

I wrote this on another site:
Perhaps I'm too old for the reveal-all-confessional type of blogging but reading claw marks lately makes me want to start blogging again to at least expand upon the thoughts I wouldn't otherwise write out in a Facebook post or vague tweet.
A couple of years ago, I took the month of February off from Facebook under the premise that the time I wasn't wasting on Facebook could be channeled into other things. I blogged quite a bit, I read a few books, got out a little, and generally tried to avoid looking at anything on there. It wasn't perfect, by far. A fair amount of friends still use Facebook to communicate about social events and general happenings, so I was out of the loop on all of that, thus defeating part of my goal to be in better touch with hanging out with them. Weird how that shit works.
Ultimately, I think I want more conversation. The introvert in me loves social media because it allows me form a complete thought and reply to wha…

[UPDATED VERSION!] The Trouble With The Electoral College

In light of this week's Presidential election, here's an update on why the Electoral College is awful. Watch the original video after this short update:


[UPDATE] The YouTuber went back and did ANOTHER update to correct himself on some issues. It's also worth watching especially because one part of it reminded me of the awful governing situation we have in New York State that is referred to as "3 men in a room."