Thursday, October 04, 2007

Helping Others Tune Up

Last night, a friend of mine accosted me as I left WRFA and informed me that she wanted me to give her violin lessons so she can brush up on her skills. I was taken off guard a little by the proposition, but offering violin lessons has been something floating around in my mind for a little while.

My main obstacles to going through with it was the fact that I don't have a lot of free time and I wasn't too keen about the idea of being inundated with little kids and their quarter-size violins. However, the idea of giving "brush-up" violin lessons to adults has appeal.

I frequently run into people who played an instrument in school, but haven't touched it since they tossed their graduation hat in the air. I wouldn't say I'm the most studious violinist and lover of classical music. Anyone who regularly reads my blog knows my music taste runs toward the alternative/indie rock segment of the industry. I practice my "craft" but I'm not fanatic about it. I have noticed that there is a shortage of violinists for the local orchestras in Jamestown and Warren. Trying to recruit can be tough when the people feel their skills are too rusty to share with the general public.

My "test student" will hopefully start in the coming weeks once she gets an instrument, and I'll go from there. Business model will be shared in the near future, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...