Friday, July 18, 2003

"This is called 'The Battle for the Planet of the Apes'!"

I took advantage of a meeting cancellation yesterday to go see They Might Be Giants perform a free concert as part of "Thursdays In the Square" in Buffalo.

A review appeared in today's Buffalo News, obviously written by someone who isn't a true fan or observer of the obvious (she said the song "John Lee Supertaster" was about a superhero with a heightened sense of smell!).

My account is somewhat different. I went by myself, because I can. I figured if I ran into people I knew, great. If not, that's fine too. To speak to the main act (in the interest of my time), I was very happy they performed songs off their most recent release, the kid's album "No!". I was concerned that it was going to be a "kids show" at first when they opened with "Clap Your Hands" but a few blue words thrown in along with the command "Everybody Swear!" by John Flansburg put my worries to rest.

It was a short set due to time constraints by the city, but they still managed to shoot off their cannon of confetti which was swept into the air and floated around all the tall buildings and play "Famous Polka" twice along with doing the infamous "Battle for the Planet of the Apes" during the encore.

I was a little disheartened by the number of people at the concert that didn't know some of the "old favorites" like "Particle Man" and "Birdhouse In Your Soul". The girl, who had to be 16 at the most, standing next to me squealed that "Boss of Me" was her favorite song but didn't know the other two songs I just mentioned. I do give her kudos for dancing along anyway.

My post-show highlight included running into Robin and her sister Beth (I know both from WBNY), ogling John Linnell and then getting John Flansberg autograph. I turned into such the fangirl that I felt silly. It was all good though and I don't think I freaked out anyone, especially Flans'.

For a better interview and quick background on TMBG, read this story that was in the Salt Lakes Tribunal

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...