Friday, April 04, 2003

"Irondequoit is the Baghdad of Monroe County." - RG&E Spokesman

I miss out on all the "fun". The Greater Rochester area was blasted by an ice storm last night. The storm is supposed to continue through Saturday. Irondequoit, where I grew up and where my parents still live, was especially hard hit. I spent a couple minutes freaking out while I tried to reach them earlier this afternoon. I finally got through to a neighbor who confirmed they were ok but they had no power. I assumed as much, but since we had come through the 1991 Ice Storm so well I was surprised that no one answered the phone at our house.

Jessica, Jenny, and Matt have some pictures on their blogs of the storm's aftermath. And if the D&C also had a link to pictures as well. Sure, this doesn't compare to the 1991 storm in terms of how many lost power (50,000 this time compared with 200,000 the last time), but I think my hometown was hit a lot harder than before. I just everyone the best out there who doesn't have power and for anyone traveling, be careful! Me? I'm off to Buffalo tomorrow to do an alumni thing at Buffalo State. Tune into 91.3 FM WBNY Sunday morning (7-10am) if you want to catch my show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...