Friday, August 16, 2002

The Extending Branches of My Family Tree

I found out I have a cousin who is doing the geneology work for my dad's side of the family. My grandfather was one of 13 children, so even just that bit of research could be pondersome. It was cool to look at what she had so far on her internet site and then email her with some additional information. Most of my dad's side of the family (as in his grandfather on his dad's side) came over from Poland and lived in an area called Goleszow, Mielec District. It was called Galicia at one point I guess when the borders for Poland were jumbled around. I tried researching that area on the net, but the only information in English I was able to find related to the concentration camp (sub-camp of Auschwitz) that existed in Goleszow during World War II. Pretty sad stuff. Matt wondered if that would be why I have such an interest in the Holocaust (including dreams about the Holocaust). Up until yesterday, I didn't think my family really had any connection with the Holocaust. Now I wonder if any of the relatives that remained in Poland may have been witnesses or victims themselves. An interesting note: going through my great-grandfather's lineage I found out that one of my ancestors married a woman who died on the same day (October 22, 1898) that I was born (October 22, 1976). Not unusual, but I did notice that quite a few people in my family's past either were born or died on the 22nd of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...