Skip to main content

Green Mountain Conversion

My Mom, Matt, & my Dad having a mid-morning coffee
While on a trip to Vermont this past summer with Matt and my parents, we dropped into Green Mountain Coffee's Visitor Center in Waterbury for a caffeine boost and to learn a little more about the company.

After a tour of the center which included a tasting of a delicious, but expensive reserve blend, we grabbed an empty table outside the station to plot our next stop for the day. I decided to take some pictures and wandered into a park across the street where I came upon a couple ladies who asked if I wanted to do a coffee taste test/survey. Never to turn down a chance to taste coffee, I agreed as did my mom and Matt. Of the 3 coffees we tried in a blind taste test, we all picked "B" which turned out to be a Green Mountain Coffee's Vermont Country Blend. The losers were Maxwell House and Starbucks.

Since that trip, Matt and I have switched up our brand of coffee at home to mainly Green Mountain. It also helps that we inherited on Keurig and bought another Keurig for super cheap from friends so that Matt could have his 1-cup at work and not have to make a full pot of decaf coffee at home when he wanted a cup. I appreciate their collaboration with Newman's Own in making an affordable Fair Trade coffee available on grocery shelves.

Of course, Green Mountain Coffee has the tricky balance of maintaining its commitment to the environment while selling a popular product that seems counter to that mission.

The latest news is that Coca-Cola, in making a move against SodaStream, has bought 10% stake in Green Mountain. Since Keurig machines are not fitted with the appropriate gadget to make water fizzy, Coca-Cola will be working to create the gadget that will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bloggery (a repost)

I wrote this on another site:
Perhaps I'm too old for the reveal-all-confessional type of blogging but reading claw marks lately makes me want to start blogging again to at least expand upon the thoughts I wouldn't otherwise write out in a Facebook post or vague tweet.
A couple of years ago, I took the month of February off from Facebook under the premise that the time I wasn't wasting on Facebook could be channeled into other things. I blogged quite a bit, I read a few books, got out a little, and generally tried to avoid looking at anything on there. It wasn't perfect, by far. A fair amount of friends still use Facebook to communicate about social events and general happenings, so I was out of the loop on all of that, thus defeating part of my goal to be in better touch with hanging out with them. Weird how that shit works.
Ultimately, I think I want more conversation. The introvert in me loves social media because it allows me form a complete thought and reply to wha…

A Surprise Delivered by the Postal Service

A women in Rochester was at an Amvets Thrift shop where she bought a box of Christmas cards. When she got home, she realized there were other things in the box: business cards, photographs, a work ID card, and a love letter written from a husband to his wife on their 12th anniversary. The woman took a chance and sent the personal items to the address listed on the business cards with a note saying she hoped people at the address would know the people in the photographs and to let her know if they made it to the right place. 

My grandmother in Buffalo received that bundle in the last week.  The items had belonged to my grandfather who died in October.  The pictures were of him at meetings with friends, spending time on a friend's boat in 2007, and one of him posing with me and my cousins on Easter Sunday in 1987. 

My grandmother misses her husband of 61 years a great deal.  She told my Aunt that she has been looking for a sign since October that he is where he's supposed to be …

Away, Away

We're on a mini-vaca in an area where they're experiencing forest fires (thanks asshole arsonist). It's an area that makes Clifton Hill in Niagara Falls, Ontario look rinky dinky. Holy cow. Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg is no joke. Tomorrow we try to escape it and find some peace and nature in the (literally) Smoky Mountains.