Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A Surprise Delivered by the Postal Service

A women in Rochester was at an Amvets Thrift shop where she bought a box of Christmas cards. When she got home, she realized there were other things in the box: business cards, photographs, a work ID card, and a love letter written from a husband to his wife on their 12th anniversary. The woman took a chance and sent the personal items to the address listed on the business cards with a note saying she hoped people at the address would know the people in the photographs and to let her know if they made it to the right place. 

My grandmother in Buffalo received that bundle in the last week.  The items had belonged to my grandfather who died in October.  The pictures were of him at meetings with friends, spending time on a friend's boat in 2007, and one of him posing with me and my cousins on Easter Sunday in 1987. 

My grandmother misses her husband of 61 years a great deal.  She told my Aunt that she has been looking for a sign since October that he is where he's supposed to be and is happy. My grandmother says she has her answer now.

A side note - I googled the name of the woman who bought the Christmas card box and if the person I found online is the same, she's a widow too. My aunt helped write a note for my grandmother that she will send back to the kind woman whose chance purchase made all of my family smile this past week.

6 comments:

Pamela said...

That is the sweetest thing I've read in a long time. I'm so glad your grandma got her special things back.

allthingsjennifer said...

You just made me cry...

battlemaiden said...

What a great story!

Nor Slim Salman said...

I like this. It made my day. Suddenly the sun came up!

Slim

Maurice said...

That is such a remarkable story! I don't even know what to say except ...wow!

SEOJoe said...

I'm so happy that your grandma got her stuff back. Great story.

Buffalo News

WNY News

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...