Thursday, January 07, 2010

Social Hibernation

Over the past month and a half, there's been a slight change in nightly habits. The winter with the cold and snow has seemed to have the effect of keeping us inside. Well, that's of course when we're not out shoveling. That 28 inches of snow we received between last Friday and Monday had to go elsewhere if we wanted to get out of our driveway and receive regular mail delivery.

It's not like we haven't seen some of our friends, we just have avoided late night drinks out in favor of wrapping ourselves in flannel, slippers, and fleece. Socializing has taken place during the day or early evening over lunch, coffee, or in the house. I think, "Is it age? Am I abandoning the 'scene'?" but then consider that if it was 40 degrees outside and the roads were clear, I probably would feel less hesitant about venturing out.

With another weekend of bitingly cold, snowy weather predicted, I'm hoping to take care of some items like reading the books I borrowed from the Prendergast Library before it reopens on Wednesday. Then we'll break out of the stay-at-home theme a little bit with a dinner/movie on Friday, a post-holiday party at a friend's house, and maybe a little Improv Saturday night. We'll see how it all goes and whether the burst of social activity returns us to familiar ground or if it chases us back to our house to huddle under blankets until March.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...