Friday, April 10, 2009

Honest Scrap

Matt and Kevin tagged me for the Honest Scrap award.

The Award and Rules:

This award is bestowed upon a fellow blogger whose blog content or design is, in the giver’s opinion, brilliant.

Apparently the rules are as follows:

1. When accepting this auspicious award, you must write a post bragging about it, including the name of the misguided soul who thinks you deserve such acclaim, and link back to the said person so everyone knows she/he is real.
2. Choose a minimum of seven (7) blogs that you find brilliant in content or design. Or improvise by including bloggers who have no idea who you are because you don’t have seven friends. Show the seven random victims’ names and links and leave a harassing comment informing them that they were prized with Honest Weblog. Well, there’s no prize, but they can keep the nifty icon.
3. List at least ten (10) honest things about yourself. Then pass it on!

Seven Bloggers

1. LJC FYI: Great design, fun posts. This blog is written by a fine woman I met in the mid 1990s. Jenny also blogs/twitters for Kodak. Her blog is one of the reasons I decided I need to start writing my own oh so many years ago.

2. Ineffablog: Nick is a local newspaper journalist and bartender at Forte. He mostly blogs about music when he gets around to it. He's a good guy and I think a little more traffic might encourage him to blog more.

3. Eriepressible: This blog has a mix of Erie, PA politics; discussions on being child-free, and other assorted items. It is updated frequently and I've enjoyed the peek into this woman's life.

4. Jamestown Horribly Awry: Not a frequent blogger, but worth going to take a look at a series of Star Wars paintings that he's currently working on for a show.

5. The Dayton Time: This hysterical blog is written by my college sophomore roommate, Pam. She details life with four kids (the fourth is a very recent arrival) and her husband, The Mister. This blog generally falls under the "Mommy Blog" category, but the writing is so strong that you forget that. I recommend putting this on your "must read" list.

6. The Mister: The Mister is the husband of my friend Pam. I can see why they're married as they're both intelligent people with fantastic senses of humor. I think of their separate blogs as companion pieces. You really do need to read both.

7. Buffalo Pundit: Alan Bedenko writes about Buffalo politics, state politics, cars, WNY news items, and other goodies. I ended my Buffalo News subscription over the summer and haven't really missed it between Alan's blog and the TV news I catch here and there.

Honest Stuff

1. I don't like the show "The Office." I've watched it more than several times and barely laughed.

2. When I was a small, small child I was afraid to get in swimming pools. At toddler swimming lessons, I would hold onto the chain link fence screaming bloody murder when they tried to get me to go in the water. A year or two later, you couldn't get me out of the pool once I overcame my fear of putting my head underwater.

3. I earned extra cash from around age 12 until I graduated from high school by babysitting. I'm not sure if the kids liked me, but I kept getting called back and had steady gigs every summer. I did make two girls, Julia & Mary, listen to The Smiths one rainy afternoon. Like my parents, they didn't get it either at the time.

4. My friend, Sabrina, who I talk to almost every week day online is someone I met on ISCA BBS my freshman year in college. She's one of the few people I met in college that I keep in very regular contact with.

5. During my internship with the Junior High Orchestra my senior year in high school, I realized I might not want to teach. I would complain to the WIRQ General Manager that I didn't want to go to that class and he'd yell at me to go. A little over a year later, I had switched my major from music education to radio broadcasting.

6. I truly loved my job in radio news.

7. I never thought I'd like living in a smaller city and never planned to stay in Jamestown more than 2 years. I will have lived here for 10 years this June and have no plans to leave anytime soon.

8. I have very low tolerance when it comes to alcohol. I enjoy beer, wine, and mixed drinks but usually can only order 1 drink when we're out. If I order a second drink, it's only because I know I have someone who can drive me home or that I'll be out long enough to get sober.

9. I chose to transfer to Buffalo State College partially because I saw an interview done with the Music Director of WBNY in CMJ. My GPA wasn't high enough to get into Ithaca due to failing two music classes (Intro to Elementary Music Ed. and Solfege).

10. I traveled to Albany with Buffalo State College's NYPIRG group for an Earth Day Lobby Day. I went along to get audio on their mission for a production class project, but found myself joining in the lobbying effort. That involved a very uncomfortable meeting with one of my State Legislative leaders where I fumbled with my materials and generally felt bad I was wasting his time since it was never my intention to get involved in the process I was trying to document. In the end, I got the sound I needed and intertwined the sound bites with "Poison In The Well" by 10,000 Maniacs. I never saw the grade on that project but I passed the class.

1 comment:

Pamela said...

Thanks for the award! I will pass it along shortly.

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...