Saturday, February 28, 2009

Music of The Smiths/Morrissey: The Playlist

Back on Valentine's Day, I dj-ed a Smiths/Morrissey night at Forte with DJ Fluvanna Beachcomber (Steve). It was a fun night. Even though it's not the kind of music that inclined people to dance, the bar did well. Steve was out of sorts because the woofer for the speaker had gotten wet and was unusable. It affected the sound a bit, but it didn't bother me too much.

We got in most of the few requests we got aside from "How Soon Is Now." We had planned to play that later in the evening, but the bar was fairly empty by the time "later" rolled around. My answer to one guy's request to "play something we can dance to" was to play "Sheila Take A Bow" followed by Electronic. The latter got a huge response from people who hadn't heard the song in awhile.

This was our playlist that I anally kept track of all night long:

Start Time-10:30ish with Steve picking first track. Rest is my set. Moz=Morrissey:

Smiths - Golden Lights
Moz - November Spawned A Monster
Moz - Alsatian Cousin
Moz - Glamorous Glue
Smiths - London (Live off Rank)
Moz - Satan Rejected My Soul
Moz - Have A Go Merchant
Moz - You Have Killed Me
Moz - Sunny
Moz - Alma Matters

11PM - Steve's Set

Smiths - What Difference Does It Make? (Hatful of Hollow)
Smiths - Panic
Smiths - Handsome Devil
Smiths - Half A Person
Moz - Suedehead
Smiths - Cemetery Gates
Smiths - Stop Me If You've Heard This One
Smiths - Ask
Smiths - I Started Something
The Jam - That's Entertainment

11:30 - Me

Suede - Animal Nitrate
Moz - Tomorrow
Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
Moz - Irish Blood, English Heart
Moz - Jack The Ripper (Live off World Of Morrissey)
Moz - Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself
Moz - Hairdresser On Fire

Midnight - Steve

Smiths - Nowhere Fast
Smiths - His Latest Flame/Rusholme Ruffians (Live off Rank)
Elvis - His Latest Flame
In Depth - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out (cover)
Moz - Interesting Drug
Smiths - The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
Smiths - This Charming Man
Cilla Black - Work Is A Four Letter Word
Smiths - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
Smitsh - Still Ill
Twinkle - Golden Lights

12:30am - Me

Smiths - Sheila Take A Bow
Electronic - Getting Away With It
Moz - Our Frank
Moz - Journalist Who Lie
Smiths - What She Said (Live off Rank)
Smiths - Hand In Glove

1am - Steve

Moz - The Last Of The Famous International Playboys
Smiths - Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want
Smiths - Rubber Ring
Smiths - Well I Wonder
Smiths - I Don't Owe You Anything
Smiths - Golden Lights
Wayne Fontana & The Mindbenders - Groovy Kind of Love
High Llamas - Frankly, Mr. Shankly (cover)
Marianne Faithful - Summer Nights
Smiths - Unhappy Birthday
Billy Bragg - Never Had No One Ever (cover)
Smiths - Girl Afraid

1:30am - Me

Smiths - William, It Was Really Nothing
Moz - My Love Life
Smiths - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Moz - Driving Your Girlfriend Home
Moz - This World Is Full Of Crashing Bores
Smiths - Shoplifters Of The World
Smiths - Vicar In A Tutu
Jeff Buckley - I Know It's Over (cover)

1 comment:

Twi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...