Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Historic Victory

I watched the final election results at Jamestown's Democratic Headquarters with Matt and other friends last night. The agony of defeat from the previous two presidential elections had left me quiet and wary. I almost couldn't believe it as MSNBC flashed California, Oregon, and Washington states for Obama, putting Obama well over the 270 electoral college votes needed to win the election.

As I stood in shock, I felt my eyes well up with tears of relief for a moment until I looked around the room at people cheering, kids running outside with Obama signs to dance in the streets, my friends crying, and some of the biggest smiles I've seen on election night.

It was quite a night.

I share with you today's front page of my hometown paper, the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle:


Image Courtesy of Newseum

2 comments:

Galoot said...

And so begins almost 4 years of neo-cons trying to knock the new guy off his perch. If they take a note from the Clinton years, they'll find a Whitewater, tie his hands on legislation and malign him at every turn. Then they'll say he accomplished nothing.

I think he'll rise above it all though..

Mr. Nighttime said...

Actually, I knew he had it when he won PA and OH. Those were the two huge prizes he needed. I tried going out that morning to get a copy of the D&C and the NY Times, but even as early as I went, they were gone. I've gotta find one somewhere.

Thanks again for the help yesterday. It was greatly appreciated.

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...