Skip to main content

The Things We Carry

I have an affinity for large bags. I think it goes back to when I was a teenager and couldn't live without my backpack. Perhaps it goes further back to my Girl Scout days when I would do my best to fit everything I might need for an overnight into one bag.

The size of my bag doesn't cross my mind until I go home to visit my parents and my mom exclaims,

"Now that's a torba!" (Polish for bag) "What have you got in there? It weighs a ton!"

That's when I usually look down to the unwieldy bag hanging off my shoulder, shrug and answer,

"Oh, just my wallet, an umbrella, my notebook, the camera, my iPod, sunglasses, coupons, assorted female items, you know, the usual stuff."

At this point, I can expect a loud sigh from my mom as she begins to chide me for carrying around something so heavy and have I been taking my calcium supplements lately? I don't know what the latter has to do with any of this other than my mom being my mom.

For the next six months or so, I'll be swinging my red torba (seen above) around, doing my best not to knock anyone out. My black Kenneth Cole purse I got a great deal on at TJ Maxx back in 2002 has gotten to a point where black Sharpies can't hide where the leather is scratched or worn. Someday I'll replace that one with another black montrosity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Away, Away

We're on a mini-vaca in an area where they're experiencing forest fires (thanks asshole arsonist). It's an area that makes Clifton Hill in Niagara Falls, Ontario look rinky dinky. Holy cow. Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg is no joke. Tomorrow we try to escape it and find some peace and nature in the (literally) Smoky Mountains.

Bloggery (a repost)

I wrote this on another site:
Perhaps I'm too old for the reveal-all-confessional type of blogging but reading claw marks lately makes me want to start blogging again to at least expand upon the thoughts I wouldn't otherwise write out in a Facebook post or vague tweet.
A couple of years ago, I took the month of February off from Facebook under the premise that the time I wasn't wasting on Facebook could be channeled into other things. I blogged quite a bit, I read a few books, got out a little, and generally tried to avoid looking at anything on there. It wasn't perfect, by far. A fair amount of friends still use Facebook to communicate about social events and general happenings, so I was out of the loop on all of that, thus defeating part of my goal to be in better touch with hanging out with them. Weird how that shit works.
Ultimately, I think I want more conversation. The introvert in me loves social media because it allows me form a complete thought and reply to wha…

[UPDATED VERSION!] The Trouble With The Electoral College

In light of this week's Presidential election, here's an update on why the Electoral College is awful. Watch the original video after this short update:


[UPDATE] The YouTuber went back and did ANOTHER update to correct himself on some issues. It's also worth watching especially because one part of it reminded me of the awful governing situation we have in New York State that is referred to as "3 men in a room."