Thursday, September 18, 2003

Seasoning the Melody

I heard a snippet of blues-ey jazz following the news this morning on the radio and immediately thought of sunny, warm, Autumn Saturdays when you're bustling around the house getting chores done. Then I thought of other songs and the seasonal associations I attach to them. For instance, I can't hear anything by Tom Petty without thinking of early September. And it never truly seems like Christmas time until I've listened to Enya's Sheperd Moons. Here's a quick personal list of songs/albums/artists and seasonal, or other, associations:

Crowded House - "Recurring Dream: The Best of..": March, April
Liz Phair - Whip Smart: May, first warm spring breezes wafting through dorm room
Dire Straits - "Sultans of Swing": Summertime
U2 - Joshua Tree: Late August, warm days and cool nights crusing with the windows down
Tom Petty (all but especially) - Into The Great Wide Open: early September, Fall
They Might Be Giants - "Snail Shell": Post-Labor Day, back to school
New Order - "Regret": Mid-Fall, Homecoming
Classic Rock (as a genre): Overwhelmingly Fall, doing yardwork before snow hits
Enya - Sheperd Moons: Late November/December - Christmas
Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes: December/icy, quiet nights

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...