Sunday, August 03, 2003

Reverting Back 15 Years

Friday night Matt cooked a nice dinner of lemon pepper chicken, steamed broccoli, and roasted potatoes. After we ate, I washed up the dinner dishes along with the few dishes that had accumulated the past two days. After watching some of the news, I left to return About A Boy and to drop off some library books. The return to the video store included renting The Princess Diaries and The Rules of Attraction. At the library, I took out the first two books in a new-to-me mystery series by M.C. Beaton (the Hamish Macbeth series) and Second Helpings, a young adults book that looked intriguing. On my way out of the library parking lot I realized something.

I was doing exactly what my mom and I used to do on Friday nights when I was in Middle and Junior High School. My parents and I would get dinner, then my mom and I would go to the library, and sometimes we'd even rent a movie. I'm closing in on age 27 and I'm doing the same thing. I marvel at the fact that the idea of staying in on a Friday night would have seemed like a death sentence five years ago. I guess getting engaged, living in a city that doesn't offer much other than the bars and movies on any given night, and having some friends out of town will help you get used to anything. Plus, I needed a night "off".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...