Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Burn Or Buy

I have this love-hate relationship with the music industry. Part of the "hate" part is reflected in an article on how the music industry is dealing with advancing technology.

I download music for free. I used to belong to EMusic.Com, but I cancelled my subscription as part of my spending cuts backs (due to my upcoming wedding) and due to the fact that there were very artists or songs on Emusic that I was interested in downloading. I don't really feel guilty about ripping music for free. I'm increasingly disgruntled with the radio and music industry, and the crap that's put out there as "music".

The times I feel a bit of guilt is when I think of my friends that are in bands, involved in radio, or in the music biz. They need paychecks. However, I don't like the idea that I'm being told by my friend's higher-ups (owners of the industries) that I'm the problem here. That the FCC will act in ways that limits our choices by further deregulating radio and tv and allowing three conglomorations to buy up even more radio and tv stations. That it's then my fault that I can't stand what I hear on commercial radio or what's being sold in Wal-Mart. That I should be sued for seeking out music that I do like and will buy once I get a fair shot at previewing it.

I think it would be a breath of fresh air if the music industry could get its head out of the sand and start developing innovative technologies or ideas that will get them back the major audience it has lost. It's a long shot for them since the Dollar seems to take the main precendent in all areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...