Tuesday, June 24, 2003

New PA Law Aims to Slow Work-Zone Speeders

If you've ever driven through the state of Pennsylvania, you know that inevitably you will run into construction. While I was attending Baldwin-Wallace College in Ohio, my parents and I became convinced that there were perpeptual work crews on I-90 around Erie, PA. It became a running joke of a sort, so it was quite a surprise when on one trip back to Ohio for visit there were no work crews to be had anywhere on I-90. It seemed like a miracle! Never fear, they're back again.

Endless construction often leads to drivers casually ignoring work zone speed limits. To combat this, a law has been passed that has tougher penalties if you're caught speeding in a construction zone. This includes losing your license for 15 days if you are caught going at least 11 mph over the speed limit. However, you're given better signage in return that notifies you that you're entering a work zone. An active work zone, meaning there are crews on duty, will include a strobe light designed to flash determinedly at you, imprinting the message, "Slow Down You Fool!" into your brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...