Thursday, June 26, 2003

A Marriage in Albany

Matt and I are headed to Albany tomorrow for my cousin, Karen's, wedding. When it comes to family, I must admit I've always favored Karen a bit in the cousin category. When I was in elementary school, Karen was the cousin who also read mysteries like Trixie Belden. When I was in high school, she was the cousin who had also seen Much Ado About Nothing and had heard of Kenneth Branaugh and Emma Thompson. In college, she became the woman I looked up to for her career and all that she had accomplished. She also was one of the only other Edith Wharton fans I knew. Now, I continue to look up to her as someone who is in her forties, but is still cool and independent. She may be getting married, but she hasn't lost herself in the traditionalism of the event. Karen is someone I hold in high regard and I feel honored to be included in her small gathering on Saturday for the wedding. I also appreciate the fact that her soon-to-be-husband is a tall guy. Karen is short. As am I. Matt is tall. I doubt many people can appreciate what it's like to have over a foot difference in height with your significant other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...