Thursday, February 13, 2003

Interesting Discussion As a Result of "Spam"

My dad has me on his mass email list for jokes, stories, etc. and recently sent out one about what "we" should tell the 14% of the people in the U.S. who don't believe in god. He got an interesting reply from an longtime family friend from church (who also was my 6th Grade Religion teacher), so he asked others what they thought. A person he used to work with is the only other person on the list to respond thus far. I'm curious what others might say and I'm even a little surprised my dad asked the question. He usually is just the "joke guy" and hasn't ever really engaged his friends like this over email. I've copied and pasted the emails below (minus last names/email addresses) with no edits to the content:

From: John
To: Friends
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 10:27 AM
Subject: SAYS IT ALL

It is said that 86% of Americans believe in God. Therefore I have a very hard time understanding why there is such a mess about having "In God We Trust" on our money and having God in the Pledge of Allegiance. Why don't we just tell the 14% to shut up and sit down????
If you agree, pass this on, if not delete...

From: John
To: Friends
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 9:04 AM
Subject: Re: SAYS IT ALL

How do the rest of you feel about this reply?

John

From: "Steve"
To: All of John's Friends
Sent: 02/12/2003 06:00
Subject: Re: SAYS IT ALL

We don't tell the other 14% to shut up because this Country was founded on certain principles; The right to freedom of speech, the right to assemble peacefully, the right to freedom of religion, the right to freedom of the press, the right to bear arms, the right to be safe from unreasonable search and seizure, etc. etc. etc.

Any American who appreciates the fact that no one will force him/her to recite prayers to Allah, the Budda, Satan, Karl Marx, or the guy down the street should have enough sense to appreciate why we don't force God down the throats of others.
Go ahead and pass this one on! I even signed it.

Steve

From: Keith
Sent: 2/13/2003 11:40:48 AM
To: All John's Friends
Subject: Re: SAYS IT ALL

I, for one, have had religion shoved down my throat all my life, an it does grow wearisome, Remember when the schools had prayer? Because they knew I had a strong religous basckground, I was coerced reading a prayer written by somebody in Albany. To me, at that time, a prayer was a conversation with God. To be forced to "pray" using this prayer offended me greatly.

Since that time my concept of creation has changed considerably, and I do not think it possible to reconcile everything from the fossils we find all over to Hubble telesope pictures, with the literal translations of the Old Testament. It is also difficult to imagine a God who is birthing stars millions of light years away gives a damn what we believe, or even what we do. I think we would be well served to do a little less "trusting in God", and try to conduct our affairs in a way which will both benefit other people today, and preserve the future of generations to come.

Amen, Steve.

Well, John, you did ask.

Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...