Tuesday, November 26, 2002


Touring the Jail

One part of my job is meeting up with school tours and making sure they get to their correct destinations on time. I occassionally will go on the tour with them, just to hear if they're learning anything useful. The one tour I go on the most is the Jail Tour. We never toured our County Jail when I went through school. I never had a big desire to since my Uncle, who is a Corrections Officer, could tell me everything I never wanted to know about being incarcerated. I guess I get nervous that some prisoner will accost a student or that the class will get stuck in the tunnel that goes underneath the road from the Jail to the County Courthouse. Apparently, a class did get left in the tunnel one time and since the door leading to the tunnel on the Court-side was locked and out of the way, it was quite awhile before someone noticed them.

Today's class was small (seven high school students), but fairly inquisitive. One thing I hate about the tour is the smell. I now know what humanity, good or bad, smells like. It's not pretty. It's odd to walk in areas where it distinctly smells like prisoners and then get a whiff of the aftershave on one of the Corrections Officers. Little bits of reality and "normal" life filling your nostrils. I'm always glad to be done with that tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...