Tuesday, October 08, 2002


Stray Cats and Vampires

During the height of the swing dancing craze in Rochester, Matt B. and I went to a dance event at one of the churches in the city. The dance was held in the traditional basement-with-live-band style. It had a very nostalgic feel to it. That night, the place was packed since the dance included a short lesson on some swing dance steps. Matt and I followed along with the "rock-step" pattern. Unfortunately, this pattern only works for songs in 3/4. The song they played right after we learned this nifty little step was in 4/4. It kinda left us falling a little over our feet, wondering what to do with the extra beat.

Meanwhile, a group of guys came in all dressed in black. Black pants, black shirts. Nothing outrageous. I noted that some of them looked familiar. It turned out that they all roleplayed Vampire: The Masquerade at RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology), which Matt was also a part of at one time. Matt and I giggled a little over the fact that even outside the game, the roleplayers insisted on wearing the pins of their "clans." I ended up dancing with a few of them since they recognized me and felt comfortable enough to try their hand at dancing. It was a good time all in all. The whole swing movement in the late 1990's was a pretty good time in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...