Even when I'm pressed for time and on a schedule, I still like to take time when I go to Wegmans to see what's new. It's the obsession with the place. Today brought a wealth of new things. Here is what I saw and heard:
- The first thing I noticed when I walked in the Lakewood store today was what I heard. Was a band playing? Where was that louder, rock-sounding music coming from? I asked store employee and friend, Jason Jordan, what was up and he said he had been at the flagship Pittsford store recently. They apparently had different music playing around the store, so he decided to replicate the idea to create more of a public market feel. Frank Sinatra was playing in the Deli/pizza area, Bon Jovi/Dire Straits/Meatloaf in the food demonstration area, and Kee Kee Dee/Elton John over in frozen foods. Jason said it all has to be ironed out some since some people are using iPods until they can either hook computers into the wifi or something.
- You can rent out part of the Market Cafe seating area for things like birthday parties. There were Wegmans balloons bouncing merrily above seats and a private coffee station.
- The beverage coolers have been removed from the cashier lines and replaced with bins of stuff you just might want, or not. My friend, Erik, noted that he probably wouldn't be buying Barbasol shaving cream on impulse anytime soon.
- The Lakewood Wegmans doesn't have, and probably won't have, the frog cupcakes that Jenny adores but apparently we'll have an Easter Chick version of them later this month.
- Increased/improved signage in the cosmetics section.
- Wegmans bread packaging has changed in graphic design.
As said, all in a Sunday's trip!