Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Not Always Looking On The Brightside

I caught part of an interview on "Democracy Now" yesterday with author Barbara Ehrenreich where she was talking about how the drive to always think positive may actually be harming us.

I found the interview to be refreshing. Here was a woman who has survived breast cancer and didn't find it necessary to always be upbeat and positive about going through the treatment process. We won't even start on the whole pink thing with ribbons, teddy bears, etc., especially when you consider that men get breast cancer too.

Just the day before, I had chatted with a friend who was PMS-ing and was feeling bitchy. We commiserated over the fact that as women, we're allowed to an extent to have a few down days a month. That we are allowed, because of natural hormones, to be a bitch. Maybe we laughed a little about this, but between that conversation and this interview, I got to thinking.

What's wrong with being angry? I don't mean to say that being angry even 50% of the time is healthy, but it has to be okay to be visibly angry sometimes. It's not healthy to keep all that crap bottled up. Additionally, I'd say it's okay to be sad sometimes. Why do we always need to be positive and upbeat?

Too much happy-happy gets me thinking about societies like in Brave New World. It's what gets me reaching for my iPod to cue up a playlist of Morrissey/The Smiths. I'm frankly very happy to be a mope at times. I like balance. I'm a Libra, after all.

1 comment:

Allie said...

I do think it's really important to feel what you're feeling and not squelch it too much. I mean, there's something to be said for putting on a happy face until you feel happy - but only to a point. Sometimes moping is the right thing to do.

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...