Sunday, November 30, 2008

Seven Wonders of My Music World

Oh bugger all, I made the mistake of diligently reading EriePressible and was auto-tagged for a music meme as a result.

This is where I'm supposed to share what I consider the "seven best albums." While those who know me know that this is where I would wax philosophical about how The Smiths are the best band ever, I'm going to instead share the dark underbelly of my music tastes by divulging the top seven songs I've listened to for the past 2 years as faithfully recorded by last.fm.

Starting with the seventh most listened to song:

7. The National - "Fake Empire"

Late comer to this sweet song. I love the slow crescendo as instruments are added with the chorus of horns near the end.

6. The Midway State - "Met A Man On Top of The Hill"

The opening verse annoys me from a musical standpoint, but I totally dig the chorus. If I knew the words to the chorus, I'm sure I'd sing them very, very loud all the time. It begs it.

5. The Killers - "When You Were Young"

I love the anthem feel to this song. It reminds me of something I would have adored when I was 16 or 17 years old, which is rather proper for a song that invites you to reminisce about your youth. And the funny thing is, I do always "see the place where you used to live when you were young" in my head when I listen to this song.

4. Spoon - "You Got Yr Cherry Bomb"

The retro-sound of the song gripped me immediately along with those horns. I can't help myself but dance, even if only my chair, when I have this song on.

3. Ne-Yo - "Because Of You"

I blame my friend, Lynn, for falling in love with this song and playing it somewhat incessantly when I visited her one weekend in Elmira. She emailed me the track and I found myself hitting play over and over and over. It's a slow groove that demands to be sung along with. I plead guilty.

2. The Midway State - "Change For You"

This song was made popular by some tv show I've never watched, I believe. Either way, this has an amazing chorus with nice backing guitars. I don't know the technical term for it, even with being a musician, but it just kills.

1. Ivy - "The Best Thing"

Ivy is one of those awesome bands that no one seems to know about in my circle of friends. If they knew that Fountains Of Wayne's Adam Schlesinger produced albums for and performed in the band, maybe that might make a difference. This track is over 10 years old, but is stellar from my personal music taste standpoint. A nice melodic beginning with a crunchy, louder chorus. Aside from using an instrumental instead of vocal bridge, it almost follows the FOW formula perfectly.

THE RULES:

1. Post your list.. oh fuck it all. If you read this far, you're tagged. Now listen to your teacher and repeat after me... go blog it already.

2 comments:

Galoot said...

Posted mine. Thanks for the maxi-tag.

Erin said...

Ack...so now that I've read this on your blog AND Emma's, I really have to do it. ;)

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...