Friday, November 21, 2008

It's the Final Weekend for Peter Pan

As I type, there is a respite from the lake effect snow that has been pretty regularly falling on Jamestown for the past few days. The sun is glorious! Unfortunately for those who feel it's too early for hard winter weather, we have been under a Lake Effect Snow Warning since yesterday which continues until 6pm tomorrow. Fortunately, I have no plans to leave the Greater Jamestown area until next Wednesday.

The final three performances of Peter Pan start tonight. I'm already feeling that slight creep of melancholy since we had our last brush-up rehearsal last night. The cast was in a playful mood. Our orchestra director urged pit orchestra members to turn around mid-song to finally see the action in the big flying scene in Act 1. We usually miss this, and almost every other flying scene, because we're playing. I was blown away!

Unfortunately, if you haven't made it to a performance or don't have tickets, you're out of luck. Like the previous 8 performances, the show is sold out. All eleven performances sold out. I've never been involved in something that lasted this long and retained the strength of public interest and support that this production has experienced.

Fortunately, there will be at least one or two opportunities post-production where the cast/crew/pit will be able to get together. I'm told one of those will be for viewing event of the video taken of last Saturday's performance. It'll be great to finally see and hear the show. You don't necessarily get the best idea when your eyes are glued to your music and conductor with the clarinet section behind you blowing out the rest. Smiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...