And here is the last part of my musical reminiscing through VH-1's top songs of the 1990s.
76. Blues Traveler “Run-Around”
77. Ice Cube “It Was a Good Day”
78. Lenny Kravitz “Are You Gonna Go My Way” - I wanted to be one of the people dancing in that video. It just looked so cool to me.
79. Meredith Brooks “Bitch”
80. Right Said Fred “I’m Too Sexy” - Kitschy, campy, and fun.
81. Paula Cole “I Don’t Want to Wait” - This song and her hairy armpits at Lilith Faire deterred me from becoming a fan. Not that there's anything wrong with hairy pits, it's just not my cuppa tea.
2. Geto Boys “Mind Playing Tricks on Me”
83. The Breeders “Cannonball” - "Check, Check. Ahhh-oooooooo. Ah-oooooo" I completely adored this song. That came in handy when a listener called into WBER one of the few times I was shadowing a DJ and requested it. He didn't know the name of the song, or who sung it, but he was able to sing the opening guitar line. I correctly guessed it and on the air it went.
84. Snow “Informer” - White boy related to Barenaked Ladies Rap. If not for this song, we wouldn't have gems like "One Week." I cannot find documentation to back this up, but I did hear somewhere that the style of "Informer" inspired "One Week."
85. Cypress Hill “Insane In The Brain” - School dance classic. Years later, I heard this at Java's while hanging out there with my parents on a visit home.
86. The Cranberries “Linger” - I was OVER this song until I heard it one morning while hanging out in the WIRQ office, watching the rain fall on the roof. I was suffering from a bout of unrequited love and this song fit.
87. Billy Ray Cyrus “Achy Breaky Heart”
8. Duncan Sheik “Barely Breathing” - Yawns. Liked the song for a minute.
89. Liz Phair “Never Said” - My first memory of this song is Jennifer V talking about how "Exile In Guyville" was a watershed album. Indeed, it did lay some good ground for albums like "Jagged Little Pill" by Alanis Morissette. It's great music. I just wish she kept writing her own stuff instead of letting Avril Lavigne's people do it for that one uber-popular album she released.
90. New Radicals “You Get What You Give” - I have no idea who the New Radicals are, but what a great road trip song this is. It's easy to sing along with, and I did often.
91. Sarah McLachlan “Building a Mystery” - When this album came out, and before it became an item in the whole Lewinsky-Clinton scandal, a friend of my then-boyfriend expressed her dissatisfaction with the album. "It only has 10 songs. What's up with that??" she muttered as we sat on a park lawn, waiting to see an outdoor production of "Much Ado About Nothing."
92. Public Enemy “911 Is A Joke” - See my story for song #65. Same thing applies.
93. Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories “Stay” - I really wanted to like the movie, Reality Bites. I really did. It was supposed to be like another Singles. I was disappointed. At least the soundtrack had a few good songs, including this one. Years later, Lisa Loeb opened for the Goo Goo Dolls in Erie and we got to enjoy some drunk guy sitting near us yell obnoxiously, "Lisa Looooeeeeb! Lisa Looooeeeeb!"
94. Fastball “The Way”
95. Montell Jordan “This is How We Do It” - I can feel the pain building as I recall the strains of this song drifting through my memory. School dances, ugh.
96. Nelson “(Can’t Live Without Your) Love and Affection” - One of my favorite power ballads. Feel the power in our harmonies! See the power in our long, flowing blonde hair!
97. Prince & The New Power Generation “Gett Off”
98. EMF "Unbelievable” - There was a certain kind of floppy, skater haircut that became popular around the time this song came out. I cannot hear this song without thinking of all the hot skater kids I knew that had that haircut.
99. Missy “Misdemeanor” Elliott “The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly)” - Didn't Missy wear some sort of inflated garbage bag in this video? That's all I remember.
100. Gerardo “Rico Suave” - I still don't know what was up with the hair or the jeans, but if not for Gerardo then my friends and I wouldn't have had the term "Rico Suave" to describe the guys who thought they were "all that" but were really just laughable in our teenage eyes.
We're on a mini-vaca in an area where they're experiencing forest fires (thanks asshole arsonist). It's an area that makes Clift...
In light of this week's Presidential election, here's an update on why the Electoral College is awful. Watch the original video afte...