Monday, November 24, 2003

Warning: Anal Retentive Factor High In This Post

I am particularly pleased with myself this morning. Last night, I managed to alphabetize my entire CD collection. This is no small feat since my collection is in the hundreds. I have to count it someday to get a handle on where I stand, but I'm fairly certain I'm over 300 at this point. I know, I know... pointless materialism, but I love my music.

My ultimate dream would be to have a database of my CD collection that listed artist, album title, year of release, label, and genre. Of course the collection would have to be digitally placed on a hard drive dedicated to this purpose since I would also like to have lyrics and notes available for each CD. And because it's absolutely imperative when viewing the information for a musical group that you can be redirected to places of interested like a "see also" note for the group Electronic that that directs you to The Smiths, New Order and The The. It goes without saying that you would be able to listen on command to any song listed in the database since all CDs will have been converted into MP3 format.

The last bit is not too much of a stretch of the imagination since I had a friend who did just that and then put the hard drive in his car. He said the ability to hit shuffle on his entire music collection on road trips blew his mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...