Wednesday, October 22, 2003

Sound The Alarm

I think everyone should at one point experience the sheer loudness of the noon whistle going off in Mayville, New York. I had just sent a group of students on their way after touring various parts of government and turned to go back inside the building as the whistle/horn revved up to let everyone in the village know that, yes, it was noon. It's a loud, drawn out, exuberant noise. There's an excitement to it if you haven't heard it in awhile, or taken notice of it. It can also be quite startling, as I found out almost three years ago when I came up to Mayville to cover a meeting in my former life as a radio news reporter. I commented to my future boss that it sounded like we were either being warned of a bomb attack or a tornado.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...