Monday, March 17, 2003

I May Not Like Country...

I may have to buy the latest Dixie Chick's cd. I don't like country. Let me emphasize that. I don't like country. However, I feel the poor girls are getting a bad rap for doing something very regular. Speaking their minds. Here's what's causing all the controversy:

From the Dixie Chicks with respect to statements being reported in the British media
3/12/2003

"We've been overseas for several weeks and have been reading and following the news accounts of our governments' position. The anti-American sentiment that has unfolded here is astounding. While we support our troops, there is nothing more frightening than the notion of going to war with Iraq and the prospect of all the innocent lives that will be lost."

Maines further stated, "I feel the President is ignoring the opinions of many in the U.S. and alienating the rest of the world. My comments were made in frustration and one of the privileges of being an American is you are free to voice your own point of view."


So now people are burning cds and slamming the group. Naturally, I believe in free speech, but to condemn these women for speaking their minds? Then again, we are being led by the right at the moment. I don't suppose too many people noticed that the Senate passed a bill banning partial-birth abortions last week? Hmm? Of course not.. there's a potential war to worry over! Who cares about women's rights?? Not your leaders. I'm a proud American, but I do not support our leader(s) in their efforts regarding Iraq. Hell, the president's Father isn't quite sure about his son's actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...