Wednesday, September 11, 2002


A Year Later

I've attended two memorial ceremonies today for the anniversary of September 11, 2001. Originally, I wasn't going to attend the one in Jamestown, but as I got ready this morning I realized I would regret it if I didn't go. I'm glad I did. It was a beautiful ceremony and it was nice to see some people I know there. The noon ceremony here in Mayville was shorter, but just as heart-felt. Last night I got to thinking about what we were all doing a year ago here in the offices. One thing that struck me was how we were glued to the television. I remember sitting down with my lunch of yogurt, fruit, and water. I knew I had to eat even though I didn't feel like it. It just didn't seem right to take in some nourishment, especially in front of a television spewing out so much tragedy. I've become a little interested of that snapshot in everyone's lives. The moment when they first hear the news. What were you doing when you found out? How did you react?

A year later, there is a sense that people have moved on but have not forgotten. Some of the effects of the attacks weigh heavy as we contemplate what our president may do next in his quest to rid the world of "evildoers." I can't say I agree with everything he does. I'll leave it at that.

"We're Going To Albany!"

Those were the exact words of my co-worker this morning as we celebrated the news that Tom Golisano beat Governor George Pataki in the primary for the Independence line for Governor. With Golisano in as a third candidate for Governor, the chances that H. Carl McCall will beat Pataki in November are up even more. Before the primary, people were saying that even if Golisano didn't win the Independence line that the numbers are there in the Democratic party to finally put a Democrat in the Governor's seat after 8 years absence. I'm hoping that's true.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...