Tuesday, January 15, 2002


Why Times New Roman?

While editing a report done by a co-worker, a thought crossed my mind. Why does Microsoft Word establish the font Times New Roman as its default? And why does Microsoft Outlook establish Arial as its default font? Why these fonts? What about them makes them the better ones? Is it an attempt by Bill Gates to standardize the font usage of the world? Maybe I’m thinking too much.

Pretzel of Peril

A lot of fun has been made over the incident of President Bush choking on a pretzel and fainting. I considered the seriousness of the situation. The fact that if our president had choked to death, we would then be dealing with the elusive Dick Cheny was pretty sobering. At the same time, the situation is not without comedic value. I guess every president has his “moment.” Jimmy Carter had the “attacked by a rabbit” incident. Bill Clinton had his wonderous affair. Bush Sr. vomited on some Japanese officials. It was Dubya’s turn I guess. Unfortunately, it brings thoughts to mind like John Ashcroft running around, closing down Pretzel Plants, and Bush yelling “We’ll get those pretzel evildoers! (or would it be evildoughers?)”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...