Tuesday, November 25, 2003

When The Six Degrees of Separation Become Three in Music

Most of my friends know I'm a huge They Might Be Giants fan. So in the natural course of being a fan, I bought the new DVD, Gigantic: A Tale of Two Johns. This documentary about the Two Johns (Linnell and Flansberg) had several "Ohmygod, how cool!" factors in it including the realization that two of my current favorite bands have an intertwined relationship with TMBG.

First: Fountains of Wayne. Their new album goes way beyond "Stacy's Mom" and is quite the masterpiece. Watching Gigantic, I found out that Adam Schlesinger produced three songs on TMBG's Mink Car.

Second: Fountains of Wayne toured with OK Go and were featured in an article with them in CMJ monthly.

Third: TMBG and OK Go are both appreciated by NPR Show This American Life (see Ira Glass' bio for OK Go and this story by ABC. OK Go also lists TMBG in their liner notes of their self-titled cd. The two groups also toured together in 2002.

What does this all mean? Basically, it just means that my music taste is all connected. It's one big happy world that revolves, unwittingly in this case, around one of the greatest bands I know, They Might Be Giants.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...