Friday, December 15, 2006

I'm All For Freedom of Information...

A friend of mine who used to work for Monroe County, NY sent me an interesting link today. As with other municipal websites, when you log onto the county site, you have the option to look at different department pages.

On the Human Resources page, there is a link for Civil Service Test Scores. I clicked around and was able to see who had taken a test of a position, their score, what other positions they had or had declined, and what town the person lived in. That's a lot of information.

I made a quick call to someone else I know in government about Freedom of Information guidelines in New York State, and our quick assessment is that, yes, civil service information is foi-able in terms of who scored the highest. But to have everyone's information on there for that particular test seemed excessive. Any lawyer types or experts in this field, feel free to correct or clarify in comments.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

O is particularly peeved that her *SALARY* is posted on the site. Jeebus H Crackerheads. There is NO WAY that information could be covered under the FOI...er...is there?

Anonymous said...

When I used to work for the Lockport PL, the local newspaper used to print our names and salaries in the newspaper at budget time every year. That's the fun of working for the government: that information is absolutely a matter of public record.

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...