Friday, March 20, 2009

All You Need Is Morrissey

The Morrissey concert in Buffalo last night? Totally Amazing. I left my pretty awesome seat in the seventh row before Morrissey even came on and planted myself two people away from the front of the stage. I regretted not doing this when I saw Morrissey in November 1997 at Kleinhan's. Last night did not disappoint.

The Courteeners opened the concert. I'd buy their stuff. Solid Brit band.

Buffalo News: Review - Crooning As Art

Initial takes by others on the Morrissey concert

Set List:
This Charming Man / Billy Budd / Black Cloud /
he played the same setlist as pittsburgh tonight in the b-lo:

How Soon Is Now? / Let Me Kiss You / Irish Blood, English Heart / That's How People Grow Up / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Ask / How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel? / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / The Loop / Death Of A Disco Dancer / Seasick, Yet Still Docked / Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself? / Best Friend On The Payroll / Sorry Doesn't Help / I Keep Mine Hidden / Something Is Squeezing My Skull / I'm OK By Myself // First Of The Gang To Die

Our new cell phones are crap when it comes to taking pictures. I wish I had my old phone with me, which took better shots and would have been easier to use. What I'm really hoping for is that the girl in front of me gives her friend my email address and he sends me the link for pictures he took. I spent part of the concert keeping two other girls from squeezing by and pushing into these two people in front of me. I knew the girl and guy wouldn't have room to move if that had happened, plus I like my space too.



Despite that, Morrissey was in great form. His voice was solid, which was a concern since he canceled shows early in the tour due to some sickness. He had fun with the crowd and it was great to see all the "brave ones" get on stage. One girl near me actually jumped onto Moz and gave him a big kiss on the cheek. The look of surprise with a tinge of smile from him about that was nice.

So very tired today but so very happy. The title of the post comes from the pretty light blue t-shirt I bought. I opted not to get the one of the band and Moz with the vinyl records over their packages, even though I love that picture. I have one pic that shows part of the back-drop on stage with Moz in the forefront obscured by the white glow of spot lights. If I have a moment, I'll post it later. (ADDENDUM: The girl who took these pictures was standing just 2-3 people to my right. Here are videos she uploaded from the concert).

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the good company I had on the way to and from the concert. Nick, Lori, and Shannon hitched a ride with me. Shannon sat shot-gun, so she became the defacto DJ, using my iPod on the way up to put together the perfect playlist. She and Nick cracked me up with their rendition of The Pixies' "Bone Machine." Once we got to the UB Performing Arts Center, one of the first people we ran into were a couple from Jamestown (Jason Sample and his lovely lady). Later on, I saw a fellow WBNY Alumnus, Karl. Regretfully, there were a couple Jamestown kids who couldn't get rides that had tickets. All in all though, it definitely was one of those concerts where you felt like all your friends were there.

3 comments:

NickDean said...

rocknroll!!!

Anonymous said...

Heya, I'm the girl with the pics and videos. If you want a copy just contact me thru my blog www.whippetsnippets.com

rjones002@stny.rr.com said...

Ubercool> Wish I could have been there! Thanks for being the eyes and ears for those of us not in attendance.

Big Mouth Strikes Again...

RobbJones

Post a Comment

Cutting to the Scene with the Pixie

Ten years ago, I decided to do one of the most drastic things I had ever done to my hair. I went from a long style (below collarbone) to a p...